Sherwood At The Controls - Volume 2: 1985-1990 - Various Artists Vinyl 2LP
Sherwood At The Controls Volume 2: 1985-1990 Various Artists Vinyl 2LP
In 1984, Adrian Sherwood met three American musicians who would have a pivotal effect on the future direction his music would take. Collaborating with former Sugarhill Gang members Doug Wimbish, Skip McDonald and Keith LeBlanc resulted in some brilliantly unclassifiable beats-and-sample laden records as Tackhead, with various weird and wonderful off-shoots exploring different permutations of their blueprint.
The new sound they developed caught the ear of artists from the industrial scene, resulting in work with the likes of Cabaret Voltaire, Einstürzende Neubauten and Nine Inch Nails. Sherwood also continued to get invitations to put his distinct sonic fingerprint on an eclectic range of music, from African hypno-chant to strange post-punk soundworlds. In 1986 Adrian finally met one of his heroes and key influences: Lee ‘Scratch' Perry. As well as helping to revive the recording career of the Jamaican legend, it reignited his own passion for dub, represented here by some killer unreleased versions from the On-U vaults.
This is the follow-up to the much-loved first volume that compiled 1979–84 productions and remixes by the legendary Adrian Sherwood; this second installment charts a path through electro, industrial, noise, hip-hop, afrobeat and dub circa 1985-90. It includes five completely unreleased tracks, and four that have never been heard since their original vinyl release along with extensive sleevenotes that tell the story of each track alongside archival photos, label scans and more.
Sherwood At The Controls Volume 2: 1985-1990 Various Artists Track Listing:
1. Mark Stewart - Hypnotised (12" Mix) (1985)
2. Tackhead - Mind At The End Of The Tether (1987)
3. Doug Wimbish & Fats Comet - Don't Forget That Beat (alternate dub) (1985)
4. Flux - The Value Of Nothing (1986)
5. The Unknown Cases - Masimbabele 89 (Adrian Sherwood Remix) (1989)
6. Keith LeBlanc - These Sounds (1989)
7. The Beatnigs - Television (Dance Mix) (1988)
1. Pankow - Girls & Boys (1987)
2. Ministry - All Day Remix (1986)
3. Rinf - Big Bondage (Kinky Sex Wet Mix) (1987)
4. KMFDM - Don't Blow Your Top (Adrian Sherwood Remix) (1988)
5. Dub Syndicate - Snatch A Style (1985)*
6. Lee Perry - Music & Science Madness (1987)*
7. Bim Sherman - Haunting Ground Dub (1986)*
8. African Head Charge - Hold Some More Version (1990)*
9. Dub Syndicate - Early Mafia (1990)*
* = Previously unreleased
We Also Recommend