Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time on Vinyl LP
Sonny Rollins Newk's Time on Vinyl LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
One of the greatest saxophonists of all time, Sonny Rollins stands apart from his contemporaries in ways that are very much in evidence throughout this outstanding album. Rollins' main musical role model was the huge sound of Coleman Hawkins rather than the cool tone of Lester Young. Sonny preferred playing unique and sometimes unusual material and his own originals rather than the more typical bebop standards of the day. Rollins could improvise endlessly on a song's melody rather than just play riffs over chord changes.
On Newk's Time, the masterful tenor turns such unlikely material as "The Surrey With The Fringe On Top" and "Wonderful! Wonderful!" into powerfully swinging jazz. With the backing of a superb trio including pianist Wynton Kelly, Rollins brings out the hidden beauty of these songs, often by sticking close to the melody and using repetition inventively, and at other times through the sheer humanity of his sound. A volcanic force on the tenor saxophone for for nearly 60 years, Sonny Rollins effortlessly uses his creative powers to create musical magic throughout Newk's Time.
Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone)
Wynton Kelly (piano)
Doug Watkins (bass)
Philly Joe Jones (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Sonny Rollins Newk's Time Track Listing:
1. Tune Up
2. Asiatic Raes
3. Wonderful! Wonderful!
4. The Surrey With The Fringe On Top
5. Blues For Philly Joe
6. Namely You
We Also Recommend
"Little" Roy Wiggins - The Fabulous Steel Guitar Artistry Of "Little" Roy Wiggins Colored Vinyl LP