Sonny Rollins - Volume 1 on LP
Sonny Rollins Volume 1 on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
In jazz history, Sonny Rollins ranks among tenor-saxophone giants with Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster and John Coltrane. In his dazzling 60-year career at the top, Rollins has balanced melodic development with unpredictable phrases, infusing his innovative ideas with his memorable wit.
Who else could take the show tune "How Are Things In Glocca Morra?" and turn it into a fertile device for a heated solo? On Vol. 1, Rollins plays that song and several of his originals in a quintet with Donald Byrd and Max Roach. While Rollins has composed quite a few jazz standards, his four songs on Vol. 1 (particularly "Decision" and "Sonnysphere") are long overdue to be revived. But who else could play those songs with the passion, intensity and humor of the immortal and always-original Sonny Rollins.
Donald Byrd (trumpet)
Sonnny Rollins (tenor saxophone)
Wynton Kelly (piano)
Gene Ramey (bass)
Max Roach (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Sonny Rollins Volume 1 Track Listing:
3. How Are Things In Glocca Morra?
4. Plain Jane
We Also Recommend