The Men in the Glass Booth - Part B: Various Artists Vinyl 5LP Box Set
The Men in the Glass Booth Part B: Various Artists Vinyl 5LP Box Set
Second of Two 5LP-Sets
In May 1976 a record was released that would have an unforeseen and lasting impact on the music industry; "Ten Percent" by Double Exposure was an early release on the New York independent label Salsoul Records. America was in the grip of a disco explosion with new clubs opening on a weekly basis; Salsoul saw what was happening and swiftly created a sound for their label, heavily influenced by the music then coming out of Philadelphia, aimed directly at New York's dance-floors. Records like "Salsoul Hustle," "Tangerine" and "You're Just The Right Size" by The Salsoul Orchestra borrowed heavily from the beautifully orchestrated Philadelphia International Records but added a more percussive, bass heavy depth that New York's DJs loved.
So what was so special about this particular single then? Double Exposure was, after all, just another band, "Ten Percent" just another song; one of many "disco" records released that week. First of all Salsoul became the first record label to make a 12" single available to Joe Public - the exotic format was previously only available to DJs as promotional items or bought under the counter at certain record stores. Not only that though, the extended version was created by Walter Gibbons, a DJ at New York's Galaxy 21 who'd built his reputation making exclusive versions of tracks to play in his sets. In 1976 it was unheard of for a DJ to set foot in a recording studio, being seen as little more than living jukeboxes by the serious music industry. Recording studios were strictly the domain of recording artists and producers so Walter found himself in a unique position, gaining access to a world no DJ had been granted before. Or so we thought.
The Men In The Glass Booth, compiled by Al Kent, tells the full story in a pair of 5LP-sets. Featuring ground breaking re-edits and remixes by some of the Disco era's most influential DJs including Walter Gibbons, Bobby DJ Guttadaro, Tom Savarese, Jellybean Benitez, Tee Scott and John Luongo, this opulent release also includes a 40 page book with Part A which features exclusive photos and insights from some of the story's key figures while its companion release Part B comes with a killer poster.
The Men in the Glass Booth Part B: Various Artists Track Listing:
1. The Salsoul Orchestra - My Number's Up (Tee Scott Remix)
2. The Skyliners - The Love Bug (Done Bit Me Again) (David Todd Remix)
3. Aura - L.A. Sunshine (Robert Ouimet Remix)
4. Tony Valor Sound Orchestra - Love Has Come My Way (Jim Burgess Remix)
5. Sparkle Tuhran & Friends - Handsome Man (Bobby DJ Guttadaro Remix)
6. First Choice - Love Thang (Tee Scott Remix)
7. Kay Gees - Burn Me Up (Jellybean Benitez Edit)
8. Brooklyn Express - Love Is the Message (Tee Scott Remix)
9. Chain Reaction - Changes (Jellybean Benitez Remix)
10. John Gibbs And The Jam Band - J'Ouvert (Frank Sestito Remix)
11. Bunny Sigler - By The Way You Dance (I Knew It Was You) (Bobby DJ Guttadaro Remix)
12. The Salsoul Orchestra - It's Good For The Soul (Walter Gibbons Disco Madness version)
13. Gladys Knight & The Pips - It's A Better Than Good Time (Walter Gibbons Remix)
We Also Recommend